[tech]mysterious clunking noises.

I have replaced the entire passenger's side axle assembly with a different
one (not new) but still get the exact same clunking noises when accelerating
or braking from the front.  I even repacked the inner CVs on both sides
before I put them on.  I haven't replaced the driver's side but I still get
clunking from over there occasionally too.

I have brand new tie rods, strut bearings, and struts.

I get a similar clunking noise from the right side sometimes when things get
a little bumpy, which makes me think that it's not CVs.  I don't think the
noise ever really happens when turning.

I don't think my wheel bearings or shot, there isn't lots of play in either
front wheel when the front is jacked up.

Is it time for ball joints or something?  This is really bugging me...every
time I accelerate I get this annoying clunking noise that makes me a little
less confident and its really starting to bug.  Is all this clunking madness
usually written off as CVs??  I'm really tired of pulling axles off the car
:(

Thanks
Joe