alignment ?'s

so i took my car to pep boys for an alignment (i know, but it's right across
the street and i can walk there...).  needless to say things ended in an
ordeal.  going by their 'before' and 'after' measurements on the
receipt/spec sheet they gave me (and specs as per bentley):

caster, which was originally w/i specs, is now out of spec on both sides.
what causes this, since it isn't supposed to be adjustable? i have new
control arms, bushings, ball joints, and strut bearings. springs and struts
have <20k miles on them (shine springs/ progas shocks).

rear toe is out of spec on one side.  they said the adjusting shims on the
car are "bad". what does that mean, and how do i go about
replacing/adjusting them? where are they, and what are they shimming?

all the other adjustments are ok. i bitched about it, and they ended up
giving it to me free, so i'm going to get it done somewhere else (how do i
find a good alignment place? what do i look for [in atlanta]).  i remember
shawn posting something a couple of weeks ago on suggested alignment values.
what did you recommend for mild street/tire friendly settings? tia,
-michael
88 scirocco 16v