Re: [Axle] Why is my CV joint flopping around?

>From: T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com>

>snip<
>
>Do you think I can just pop the axle back down the middle of the CV
>without having to open the boot?

Sure, It does not take _that_ much force for the outer CV to come off the
driveshaft. Most likely it slipped out while rolling it. Bearings should not
have been damaged.

Now that the car is in place, remove the axle nut and the CV. The CV will
flop around so support it to avoid damage to boot. Maneuver the CV until you
feel the splines of the axle slip into the CV. Clamp down the axle and tap
the outer CV with a wooden mallet (or similar) until it is all the way on.
Lightly pull on the CV to make sure the circlip is holding it in place.

If it doesn't feel normal, you'll have to pull off the boot to inspect the
internals.

HTH,
Jonas