From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of
btpeet@effervescent.com
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 1:39 PM
To: Scirocco List (E-mail); NW Scirocco Events (E-mail)
Subject: Inner tie rod replacement: advice please.

Can anyone out there give me the skinny on replacing an inner tie rod on a
Scirocco 16V power steering rack?

My main questions are: what tools and/or "special tools" does it take?  Just
how difficult and time consuming of a job is it?

The Bentley says you need to remove the rack from the car, which would be a
major PITA, and the tie rod itself looks like it needs something on the
order of a 32mm wrench to unscrew it from the rack.

So, I'm feeling like I probably don't want to do this myself and thinking
I'd be better off turning this job over to a so-called professional.

Please reply directly to me as I am on digest.  Thank you!

Bradley
88 Scirocco 16V 2.0L
96 Passat GLX Wagon