(not P.C. "n" word here) rigging

I've thought of (heres that word again) rigging an intake for my rocco.  Ive noticed that the air filter acts as a gasket, and that there's a neck at the bottom of the air box.  Couldn't i take out the air filter, put in a handmade rubber gasket so there's a seal there, and (that word again) a huge k&n cone filter somewhere where it's not in the way?  i imagine a huge cone filter has a lot more capability than a flat k&n, and then the whole intake hose thingy and intake manifold thingy can be eliminated, drastically cutting down on restriction and help produce a deeper sound.  Does this make sense or am i insane?

oh, and WTF is IMHO?

Dan Miller The Antijock

   88 scirocco 16v 1.8l