1.8 head on 2L performance/tuning question

Okay, here's my next stupid question. I had a (16V) 1.8 head put on my 2L
block with the Euro intake cam, new valves, guides, seals etc. It doesn't seem
as fast, or is about the same. It has some moments of brilliance, crazy tire
spinning stuff, but more often about the same or a bit less than before with
the 2L head. It should have gained quite a bit of HP, so what are likely
things to look at ? (car has 268000kms on it so anything we haven't changed is
a candidate) The injectors were not removed, intake was just set to the side
for the transplant. (we have a Euro manifold on order ( I think...) and will
put in new seals then) So what are likely possibilities? Cam timing? Fuel
supply/quality? The dreaded vaccuum leaks? It has a sort of sewing machine
sound to it, not as growly as it was. The car is CIS, has the TT fuel
enrichment module and TT exhaust (with the cat), and the bottom end is low
mileage so not a likely candidate. Also it bogs a bit when first started,
until it has run for a few seconds, and would stall if you pushed the gas
right away. But not always.(fuel supply?) Sometimes crazy fast (this was the
goal), but not consistent. So pardon me if this is a dumb question, it should
be a lot better, no? Grounding can be ruled out, as can bad plug wires. Sorry
for the longish post, just wanted to present the facts. TIA Cathy