Re: power steering

On Sat, 12 May 2001 01:08:54 -0400 Brett Van Sprewenburg
<brett@netacc.net> writes:
> >just curious, is there a way to 'unplug' my power steering?
> >
> >Eric
>
> People have left in the power rack and removed the pump, but
> steering
> effort goes waaay up, to the point of uselessness at low speeds.
> Not only that, but I suspect since the rack expects to work with
> pressurized fluid, that it would fail prematurely without it.  If
> it's power steering you want to do without, put in a manual rack.
>
> ==Brett

And on that note, you'll need to get the universal shaft from, as best I
can tell, an MK2 non-power steering if you plan on that swap. If anyone
knows different, please let me know! One thing that will help you
overcome the changes if you install a manual rack is to rebuild it and
clean EVERYTHING!  Then repack it with synthetic grease.  I did that,
installed the tie rods, and could turn the pinion with my thumb and index
finger with little effort. I pulled the rack from a Rabbit and juggled
the universal shafts from the Rabbit, a G60 Corrado, an '85 Golf manual
steering, and the original Scirocco 16v one and none worked.  Alex T. put
me on the lead that got me the part and kept me from yankin' my hair out.

Eric
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!
http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v/
request VW parts at