Re: ?s 16V folks w/adjustable cam gears

Shannon,
Q1 Retard moves the powerband up, and advance lowers it.

Q2 This is exactly why I bought a "Dial-a-cam" and not the slip adjustment
ones flooding the market today.
It is locked in and will not slip unless you shear off the locater screw.
Non permanent Loctite (don't remember the #) will probably work for the one
you have though

Q3 Remember: more is not always better.
Start going in the general direction you want (adv or ret) using 2 deg
increments.
You might even go in the opposite direction and see what you get.
I found 2 deg advance (lowering the powerband) to be the best setup for my
motor even though I was looking for more power up top.
The advantages I got retarding it weren't that great and I lost a lot of
bottom end.
With this setup she pulls like a workhorse down low and will still pull hard
up to 6.2K (before you laugh, this is an 8V)
You just might be suprised where it works best for you.
Just like with Fuel mixture adj, change in small increments.

HTH

Randy
81 Scirocco S (X2) - "The Twins"