Re: 1.8L into '82 questions

> A couple of years ago I swapped a 1.8L from an '85 Golf into my '82 Scirocco. The 1.7L ignition timing spec is 3 deg ATDC, and my book says the 1.8L should be 8 deg BTDC. Which setting should I use? At the time I was told I should use the 1.8L setting, but the starter drags at TDC (where it's set now) and won't turn over at 8 BTDC. If the 1.8L setting is the one I should use, do I need a 1.8L starter? Since the engine swap I've replaced the battery (Diehard), starter (Bosch rebuilt for 1.7L), alternator (Bosch rebuilt), and alternator wiring harness (OEM), and run new grounds from the alternator to the battery and from the starter to the battery.

  get a starter spec'd for a 1.8l. bosch says that an sr69x is what
should be used for 76-82 scirocco's and a sr33x is what is used from '83
on. i personally don't know the difference, but there is one. as it is,
i'd use the specs for 1.8l if the whole engine is 1.8l. if you mixed and
matched, though, i'm afraid that i can't help.

--
 /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com