Re: HELP, need Coil info ASAP

Randy B wrote:

> Ok so I got it hooked up.
> >From the coil amplifier I wired the red wire to the (+) side of the coil and
> the black wire to the (-) side of
> the coil....no smoke and the car didn't blow up so I guess I did it right.
> I'll drive it tomorrow to see if I get
> any type of seat of the pants performance gains from it.

I have found the following in working with VWs:

- Black = Switched (or conditional) 12v+ Power.
- Brown = Ground (chassis)
- Red = unswitched 12v+ (most of the time)

> WTF is up with VW wiring a red wire to the (-) side of the coil and two
> black wires to the (+) side. Did they
> miss that day in class in Wiring 101 when they taught that red is (+) and
> black is (-). Grrrrrrr....
>
> Randy
> 81 Scirocco S (X2) - "The Twins"

It's already a done deal but this may help other folks:

15/Black wire(s) = Switched (Ign ON) power. You have one of these
running from the Ign switch to the plus side of the coil, the other runs
into the Ign module. This is the Main Power into the coil and the Ign module.

Green (striped) wire = This the trigger from the Ign Module to the coil.
 (Collapse the Field! Collapse the Field!) From that side of the coil
there is also a:

Red/Black wire that goes into the fuse box. From what I can dig out of
the diagram it is the "Yes, Ign is ON!" lead for other parts of the car.
(Ign light in the Instrument Cluster,  fuel pump relay power, etc.)

Of course there is also the Main Lead out the center of the Coil to the Dist.

Fun part is when you find things you think are the 12v+ side of
something and find out it's really just a switched ground wire. (What?
Squeeze Me?)

hth,
TBerk
So remember, in German Red AND Black are (+) and Brown is (-).    8]