Re: Drivetrain clatter - why?

>I have a problem with a clattering noise when decelerating. I've narrowed it
>down the the gearbox/axles because it seems to be related to road speed and
>it's still there coasting in neutral with the engine idling.
>
>This noise only happens when the car is slowing down - even gentle
>acceleartion stops it. There are no clunks when turning corners and the car
>doesn't feel jerky or loose, or pull to one side under accelaration or
>braking.
>
>The noise sounds like it's coming from the driver's (right) side. Bad CV
>joint?
>
>If it matters, it's an '88 8V GTX with an ACD trans & 100mm axles. It has
>177000 miles on it and the gearbox & CV joints are the originals.
>
>TIA,
>
>Stuart

It is most likely your inner CV joint(s).  Lift and properly block up
the front of your car so that both the front wheels are off the ground.
Get under the car and grab an axle and try and turn it a bit.
Take the car out of gear.  There should be almost no 'take-up' or
play before the wheel starts to turn or the differential output
flange begins to turn.  Any clinking or sound like it also indicates
a bad CV joint.  Hold on to the axle
on the opposite side so you can feel when the motion transfer through
the diff and try and feel the CV joints clinking...there shouldn't
be any sudden coming together of the ball bearings as this indicates
high wear and too much play...and it makes a noise pretty much exactly
as you described.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net