Re: Were VW electrical designers on acid?

Not acid, just really good hash....

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Ewan Hopkins" <ewanhopkins@hotmail.com>
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Were VW electrical designers on acid?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 13:22:17 -0000

I was tracing a problem at the weekend where my cluster electrics were going
haywire when I switched on the headlights - I posted a couple of weeks ago
looking for hints as to what might be causing it and bad earth seemed to be
the consensus. I had checked the earth roses at the relay plate and removed
the cluster looking for bust tracks and then spent a good while tracing the
diagrams in the Haynes manual. I eventually noticed an earth circuit which
ran from two points in the cluster and merged at a connector near the relay
plate before going straight past the earthing roses on the right of the
plate and went straight to a connection on one of the valve cover studs
which was only used for these two earths. I followed the wiring at this
turned out to be the case. _WHY_?!*&£$
Needless to say, the wire had broken off the connector on the head so I just
re-routed the circuit from the 2 into 1 connector straight to a spare lug on
one of the earth roses and it fixed the problem.
Would have been useful to know about that strange arrangement before I
started!

Ewan Hopkins
'85 2L Storm