'77 Ragtop? Factory or dealer?

I was driving through the middle of nowhere (which isnt hard here in
montana) and i glanced over and saw familiar tailights, looked back
again and there was a super straight mk1 siting in some guys yard with a
bunch of other junky cars.. i drove buy it and found out it was a 77 and
i looked closer and it is a 77 Ragtop with an automatic. i looked over
the whole car really good and found out the car has No rust at all, Had
a little surface under the carpet but i have already grinded it off...
i go talk to the owner of the car and asked him how attached he was to
it and he told me not very so i offered him $100 and he said ok..

But my question is did '77s come with ragtops? at all or was it dealer
instaled? Also it has little chrome runners outside that are riveted to
the roof that keep the ragtop from sliding back? what are the point of
those?

Thanks
Chris
77 ragtop (16v project)