RE: MFA questions

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Nathan Fredette wrote:

> Drew,
>
> MFAs before '89 I believe did not have the diagnostic setting where you see
> the instantaneous values, which probably is a good thing considering I'd
> crash my car messing with that...also my mileage seems to be over optimistic
> too even with the close ratio tranny.  Do they all read high or something?

It's possible.  Mine is usually optimistic by betweem .5 and .6 L/100km -
but it's consistently optimistic (ie I can pretty much add a half a
L/100km and it'll be right on with my calculation at the pump, give or
take a 10th of a litre.)  I have noticed that freeway driving (which I
don't tend to do much of) does result in more optimism though, which I why
I assumed it was related to gearing  - ie. optimism seems to increase with
average road speed - assuming, of course that I'm not driving
balls-to-the-wall wide open all the time.

I have a vacuum guage installed in my car so I get a pretty good idea of
how heavy my foot is, how steep the hill is, or how strong the headwind
is, and how it will affect my overall mileage.

What I really need now is a Euro lister who can source me an instrument
cluster from an A2 Jetta TurboDiesel with a consumption indicator (or at
least the indicator and the printed circuit, anyways.)

Drew

> --Nate

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca