Re: [mk2] clutch problem

On Sun, 6 May 2001 16:19:58 -0500 (CDT) foxxinabox@core.com writes:
> as i gt ready to turn down the road to my parents house (luckily,
> where i work on my cars) i engaged the clutch. the pedal went down
> like normal, then i felt a little snap in the clutch cable and the
> clutch wouldn't engage. i managed to limp the car home. thinking it
> was the clutch cable, i inspected it and found no fault. i replaced
> it
> with a spare one anyway. still, no clutch. it's tightened properly,
> but the pedal still goes to the floor and the clutch won't engage.
> since i keep forgetting my bentley (need a note stapled to my
> forhead)
> i checked my haynes manual. it said the cable or the release bearing
> was probably the culprit. it also said that a collapsed spring in the
> pressure plate could also be at fault (hell no. don't like going
> there). the only thing i've done to the trans in the past couple days
> was replace an inner flange seal and drain and fill the trans with
> new
> fluid. and, since yeasterday, i wasn't having a problem with it. any
> ideas? i really don't want to do a clutch replacement, but if that's
> what it takes....

First check the guide tube on the pedal cluster, it broke off on my RIP
'85 Scirocco.

Then replace the release bearing, and inspect the release bearing
actuator arm, they are known for cracking.

I'd also also pull the clutch pushrod out with a magnet, and inspect
it...

I'd check all of this, before dropping the transaxle.

HTH,

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"