Rebirth of the '84, week 1: IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The saga continues.
After day 1, with dismal results, I tackled it again on day 2.  This
time, things were a wee bit better.  Right off the bat, I did another
compression test.  Then, I poured a small bit of oil in each cylinder
and tested again.  The results:

Cylinder:    Day 1:    Day 2 (dry):    Day 2 (oily):
1                 95           118                 137
2                 20             78                 110
3                 40           149                 167
4                 40           110                 125

Did the test with the fuel pump relay pulled, so as not to flood the
engine, with throttle wide open.  Results were much more promising.
Checked for spark, but not much happened.  Hooked up the inductive
timing light to the coil wire, and there was spark as the key was
turned, and as it was released, but nothing in between.  Brainfart:  The
fuel pump relay also controls spark.  So, plugged it back in, cranked
it, and it fired!!  On day 1, nothing happened.  At all.  I had to coax
it a few more times, but eventually, it STARTED!!!!!!  It kept dying at
idle, but I held it above idle for a few minutes, and it evened out.
But, there is still a problem.  Big time metallic clicking sound every
rotation, seemingly on #2.  The consensus is, so far, that I have a
valve stuck open, for whatever reason.  I'm pulling the valve cover
again tomorrow to check things out.  I have a
valve-compressing-special-VW-tool-thing (looks like a J, hooks on the
cam shaft to depress the valves so the shims can be removed), I'll see
if that will tell me anything.  I'll keep everyone posted.

It was soooo good to here it start again, albeit sickly.  It's been
sitting since October.  Everyone wish me luck and keep your fingers
crossed.

Nate
'81 (needs brakes baaaaaaad)
'84 (alive, but weak)