Euro lights (MkII)/ground wire gauge suggestions

Okay, I've had hot start problems. So I'd like to add the dreaded ground wires
and have deleted all the previous posts (sorry!) Where and how big (guage),
especially the one from the negative to the block. Don't want to repeat the
fire incident my son had with his ammeter hookup, his girlfriend was real
impressed tho. Also, at some point I may want to upgrade to the Euro
headlights, is the grille area reduced with this setup? At this point, that
would be enough reason to stay with the NA version, the car is a bit hot
blooded as it is! (lately all conversations have been around cooling upgrades,
must be spring!) Thanks for your patience, Cathy