Re: Relaying Headlights

Sal wrote:

> I'm in the process of relaying the headlights on my 81 Scirocco.  The rocco
> comes equipped with H4's and H1's  <snip> I'm following
> the instructions as per http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/how_to/relays/ .
> However, I've noticed that the rocco has separate wires for each bulb.  Does
> that mean that the two low beam wires get connected to pin 86 on the relay
> and then two new wires emerge from pin 87?  And the same thing for the
> highs?  Essentially, I need only two relays, right?  One for the highs and
> one for the lows.  Can someone just say yay, or nay, or guide me in the
> right path.
>
> TIA
> Sal

Sal,

You are now at the point where people debate one relay or four? Two
relays or three? The point is some folks advocate having four relays,
one per light as a CYA thing. Others say hook one of the Low Left to the
Hi Right to one relay and vice a versa. Other say, just slap a single
relay in for the whole thing and you're done.

Here are the basics as I know them:

- Existing headlight circuit is used as the trigger line for the relay &
then to (new) ground, (new) large gauge wire is run from battery to
relay to lights to ground.

- Design should allow for overkill/redundancy. Build it tough and you
minimize downtime.

- You don't want a single point of failure;  Min two relays. Four is
better.

- You _can_ run one set of lights (two bulbs) off the 12v output of the
relay (there is the simple answer to your question), but consider the
X-over instead. (Takes some creative wiring but it's safer). If your
lights fail while in a high speed corner it would be irritating.

TBerk
gotta run before I could polish this.....