Re: highest compression on a cis e

This is going to be really long winded so bear with me.
Let's look at some examples:
1. Air compressor, no pressure in the tank, running very slow. As the
piston moves down the cylinder will fill with the same volume of air
that the piston displaces (since the piston is moving very slow the
cylinder has time to fill) as the piston moves up it will expele the
same volume of air as its displacement because again it's running very
slow so all the pressures are at atmospheric and the pressure that it is
pumping against is zero. In this instance the CR will make no difference
to the volume pumped.
2.Air compressor, 100psi in the tank, slow speed. Cylinder filling will
still be 100%, again since it's running very slow and the pressures have
a chance to equalize. But, actual volume pumped will be dramatically
different with CR. With a CR of 2:1 the cylinder pressure will max at 15
psi and since it's pumping against 100psi it will pump nothing into the
tank. With a 10:1 CR, max cylinder pressure will be 150psi. Air will
transfer into the tank until cylinder pressure matches tank pressure, so
it will transfer roughly 1/3 of its volume. At 20:1 CR, cylinder
pressure will be 300psi and volume transfer is roughly 2/3s.
3. Case 1 at high speed. In this instance a very low CR pump will
generate very weak suction pulses because the % volume change of the
cylinder is small. Imagine the intake valve not opening. Max cylinder
vacuum would be 15" with a 2:1 CR. The cylinder will not fill well
because the pressure difference is small. A high CR pump will generate
strong suction pulses (10:1 CR, cyl vac 27" max) with good cylinder
filling.
So, as far as air compressors are concerned CR has a big influence on
volume pumped. Despite the occasional comment that engines are just air
pumps (and in a lot of ways this is true) there are some differences.
Mainly there is a power stroke between intake and exhaust and the
exhaust stroke isn't pumping against a huge backpressure.
So, now looking at engines;
1. Slow speed. Building on the above examples, if we run the engine slow
the cylinder will have time to fill completely, so CR will make no
difference. Now, of course, the cylinder doesn't push air into a tank.
It compresses it, burns it and vents it to atmosphere. In this case,
events after the cylinder filling are irrelevant to volume flow.
2. High speed. In reference to case 3 above, a low CR engine will
generate a weak suction pulse and due to the small pressure difference
will have poor cylinder filling. A higer CR will have a stronger suction
pulse and resultant better cylinder filling. The down side is in modern
high speed engines the exhaust valve is open way past bottom dead center
(>50 deg for  a good old "G" grind) and, of course the higher
compression engine will build cylinder pressure faster on the
compression stroke forcing the inlet flow to stop sooner than it would
on a lower compression engine. So, the net difference?? Comparing a 10:1
and 12:1, the 12 will probably have slightly better cylinder filling at
higher speed because the greater inertia of the inlet gas column would
keep air flowing despite greater cylinder pressure. But, at lower speeds
cylinder filling could be worse than the 10:1 engine. Other engine
design issues such as cam timing, inlet track velocity and inlet track
restrictions will determine whether a 10:1 or 12:1 engine will have
better cylinder filling.
I'll give a little and agree that changing CR can make a difference in
volume air flow, but I believe it's a small difference based solely on
inlet tract pulse strength and nowhere near as big a difference as Shawn
asserts in his post.
Sorry for the long post.