Re: How does the electronic ignition look?

On Fri, 4 May 2001 13:25:23 +0200 "Morten T Nielsen" <morten-n@gmx.de>
writes:
> Hi
>
> OK - I have read a few walk troughs on how to convert to electronic
> ignition. And it seems pretty straight forward so I thought i'd do
> it!
> First of all - I live in europe and the therefore the car is also
> from europe...my car does not have FI but a Zenith 2B2 carb. I'm
> just saying this because i'll probably get 20 different answers if
> I'm not precise ;-)
>
> Well - I needed the distributer, the coil, the wiring, and of course
> the electronic module which controls the ignition. WELL
> I went to the breakers today - I looked under the hood of 3 Jettas 5
> Golfs and a Cabrio. Their age ranged from around 80 to app. 90. And
> everything I could find was the distributer, the coil, the wiring,
> but NOT the damn little control unit. Not even in the only GTI, a
> mk. 1!! It's supposed to sit under the "flappy" shield on top of the
> firewall right? - anyway I looked EVERYWHERE on those cars!
> I took of some of the caps of on the distributor and underneath they
> look just like mine. How does an old (not electronic) ignition
> distributer look like inside? - because maybe there already are
> electronic ignition on my car...since I can't find an electronic
> kontrol unit for the ignition on the other cars and there sure ain't
> one on mine! I'm confused...
>
> The only thing which was different was the vacuum advance unit on
> the side of the distributer. The mk. 1 GTI had one like mine (with 2
> hoses) - but the newer gofls and jettas had a smaller one with just
> one 1 hose...
>
> Please answer quick...it's such a nice weather and I want to drive
> my car. Please please please!
>
> Thanks !
>
> Morten T Nielsen
> "Euro lister"
> 76´Scirocco 1.6 TS (Carb)

The electronic ignition distributors have a 3 terminal connector on the
side.

Distributors with points have a condenser, and points...

I have a spare electronics ignition setup, e-mail me if I can help.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Oddball Scirocco JH/FF