Re: highest compression on a cis e

Just to clarify things: you are putting a 1.8liter head, on a 2.1 liter
block with 12:1 compression, with cis-e right?  It will work, but you won't
be getting much if any more horsepower than with 11:1 compression.  CIS-E
reaches it's limits at around 170hp, probably a few more with the fuel
enrichment module.  Alot of people report fuel starvation with the stock
1.8L 16valve at very high rpm's.  With the 2.1liter 12:1 block you will
reach the limits of the system at a much lower rpm because you are flowing
so much more air.
But to answer your question - there is no "limit" to the compression that
CIS-E can handle.  Raising the compression has roughly the same effect as
increasing the engines displacement - it increases the amount of air your
engine flows.  With more air you can burn more fuel which means more power.
By raising the compression from 11:1 to 12:1 your engine is flowing 9% more
air at any given rpm- about the same as increasing you engine displacement
from 2.1L to 2.3L.  Bigger injectors might help - but don't take my word for
it.  Buy the bentley Bosch fuel injection book.  With a beast of an engine
like that you should consider a swap to motronic.

-shawn
'81 S