Re: alignment

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:32:26 -0400 "Neal Tovsen" <sixteen.volt@gte.net>
writes:
>Actually, I'd like to know what specs the autocrossers are using.
>Particularly
>Mk1, but also Mk2 if they're any different.
>
>Meze?

HARK! Do I hear thy name?
Yessss, yes I doooo, don't I.......

Welp, there's various specs one could use and have a wide variety of
results...

Ill give a stock setup first.

Simple, stock factory limits works fine.
Zero toe, zero camber on all 4 corners. There is a -/+ factor which I
don't know. Doesn't matter since your alignment shop will probably be
sloppy when applying the numbers. Most are unless you can be in the car
and see exactly what numbers are going on the car. (Hopefully it will be
done on an alignment machine (Ya know, one that uses computers and
stuff!) and not the old stick and spray paint method.

Mild street setup:

-0.5 camber front
1/32" total toe out front
0 toe - 0 camber rear.

This setup will see a little better cornering with no additional tire
wear on the inside. toe kills tires, this much toe will do nothing to
hurt the tires. Also the slight negative camber will also help to wear
the tires evenly across the tread block. This is in my book a very soft
setup. Slight handling gains with no disadvantages in my book.

Wild street setup:

-2 camber front
1/16" total toe out front
-1 camber rear
0 toe rear

This setup will transform the car's handling into what feels like a
cornering beast. Again, toe kills tires and not camber. In the life of
the tires you might see some additional wear on the inside edge. Proper
rotation of the tires should compensate for this.

My autox setup:

-2.8 camber front. (As much negative camber up front as I can get on my
car.)
1/8" toe out front
-1.5 camber rear
1/16" toe in rear

This is what's on my car 365 24/7. Inside edge wear is starting to show a
little on 14 month old street tires. This is the best setup ive ever used
on the street to date. The car is a bit "nibbly" meaning it will steer on
its own to a slight degree. I love the feel for the road it has as well.
its major drawback is launching the car off the line. With that much
negative camber, im only riding on about 2" wide tire tread on each tire.
Tire slipping IS an issue in that area. (I will change it back to 0
Camber and 0 toe for the VW -vs- Import drag races on June 3rd for max
traction potential.)

Now, the ultimate setup Doesn't exist. Wenzel kicked major ass at
Nationals last year with his setup. That's probably as close to ultimate
as one could probably get. Im sure as the years go by someone else will
develop a suspension setup that will surpass what Wenzel did. make no
bones, what they did with developing that car is in my mind, amazing.

Some of the tricks he used included obtaining + caster with camber plates
rotated 90 degrees to be used as Caster plates. More importantly a set of
dual adjustable Koni's. (don't worry, I plan to imulate Wenzels
suspension setup as much as possible before I try to develop beyond that.
Before I can be BETTER than them I must first be AS GOOD as them.)
Attention to details and attention to details. After that, pay attention
to details.

Most of HOW you set the car up depends on what the car feels like VS what
the car is doing time wise. Something that Doesn't FEEL fast can
sometimes actually BE fast. Just the same, if your not comfortable
driving a car with a funky setup, then you probably wont go fast. (its
that trust issue thing.)

So the bottom line is, ther is no one setup That's perfect for everyone.
You got to try different things and see what works (with your suspension
hardware as well.) and what Doesn't work.

Did I miss anything?

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!