Re: rabbit convertible question

At 8:31 PM -0400 5/1/01, Daniel Siegel wrote:
>OK the overwellming feeling of the people that responded to my
>cabriolet or a rabbit convertible. one thing that i didn't mention
>is that i could get my hands on a used rabbit convertible  for 50 to
>100 dollars. it needs a new front quarter panel and the engine needs
>a new starter but the tranny is shot. there is little to no rust on
>the car.

That's awesome.  If you are thinking about this, definitely check the
undercarriage, strut towers, and fender-to-body joins.  Especially on
a Convertible/Cabriolet, rust is death.

Do it right; rip out the engine and trans, paint it top-to-bottom,
drop a nice rebuilt engine in (I did a 16v, but you've got lots of
choices), get the top done if it needs it.

> well anyway, are the preformance parts the same between a scirocco
>and a rabbit?

For the most part, A1 parts is A1 parts.  I have lots of 16v Scirocco
parts on my '81 Convertible; the lower sway bar and stress bar, the
engine, complete with electronics.....are there specific things you
think may be different?

Feel free to e-mail me off list if you have more questions, cause I
did just this, and the results were quite worth it.  There are pix of
my car on scirocco.org in the list gathering sections for Waterfest
2000 and the Buffalo Dyno Day.  Or come to Cincy and see it in person
:-)

> any diffrences between what i should to to a rabbit? also does
>anyone know or any good websites like scirocco.org for rabbits or
>golfs?? thanks for your help

Frankly, this list has been a LOT of help for me....again, an A1 is
an A1 for the most part.  The VW-Tech yahoo list that Shawn runs may
also be a place to ask some technical questions.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |