Re: engine dropping in/break in q's.

At 04:02 PM 5/1/01 , Joe Doty wrote:

> >>How many miles should I break it in for? It's a 9A with all new
> >>rings, bearings, and seals. Some people told me 300,
> >

> >That's what I was told; drive it 300 miles fairly gently and then
> >change the oil.
> >

> >Jason Cammisa will then advocate beating the living snot out of it
> >after that breakin period :-)
> >
> >Don't forget the initial breakin; once you get it running the first
> >time, let it run about 20 minutes, keeping the idle varying between
> >2000-3500 RPM to ensure all the new parts seat and get lubricated.

Jim's right... I will advocate beating the living snot out of it. :)

Your best bet is to drive the initial break-in period in one trip if at all
possible.  The idea here is to reduce to only 1 the number of cold,
unlubricated starts that you do.  By no means would I break in the engine
by doing tons of short trips.

Get the engine up to normal operating temp (oil temp here -- not just
coolant).  And drive moderately but constantly varying the engine
speeds.  You don't want to stay at one engine speed more than a few
minutes.  In the first 300 miles, don't rev the engine past 4000rpm.

Then, after you change the oil at 300 miles, drive positively angelically
until the engine is fully warmed up each time:  Come hell or high water, no
more than 3000rpm, no more than 1/3 throttle.

Once the engine is warmed up, shift at abnormally high speeds, increasing
from like 4000rpm when you first start to shifting under moderately heavy
throttle at 6000+rpm (i.e. redline).  By the time you reach 1000 miles, you
should be beating the shit out of the motor when it's warm...

If you put your motor together right, you then have my guarantee that
you'll be putting out lots of power and getting great gas mileage.  I've
had great experience with this method...  it's the recommended procedure
from Mercedes-Benz for their AMG and 5-liter V8 motors in Germany.

Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro
1993 BMW 325i