Re: Brakes - How to tell them apart?

VW had three sources for front disk calipers.

The first, optional in '74-76, standard from '77 on, were Girling and take
small, rectangular pads.

The other two are sourced from either ATE or Kelsey-Hayes (American-produced
Rabbits) and are able to swap pads between them despite differences of
appearance between the calipers themselves. These pads have rounded arcs for
their top and bottom edges rather than straight rectangular edges.

All of these clamp on  9.4" rotors. Further confusing the issue is that
later cars had vented (thicker) rotors, which mate with thinner pads. These
were introduced on the 1983 GTI and were available on other models from '84
with the Wolfsburg package.

The vented rotors can be retrofit to any car without Girling calipers, but
you have to use the right pads else you won't clearance the rotor when you
go to install the caliper.

HTH,

Christian
87 16V