[approaching OT] Bosch universal O2 sender debate

I guess the issue here is that your source (Auto Tech BOSCH course) is not
guaranteed to be taken as fact by the rest of the populus.

Personally, being the stubborn goat that I am, I will continue to believe
that Bosch includes a crimp-n-shrink connection on their universal 02
sensors because it is the easiest/cheapest/most reliable way to ensure
that the sensor is installed correctly on a wide variety of vehicles.  I
will continue to believe this until a Bosch engineer documents in an
industry standard white paper (this may, of course, be already done) that
crimp connections should be used solely because the 02 sources reference
air through the tiny spaces between the tight strands of copper and the
insulation of the lead wire (which in turn has to make it through a
presumably air-tight shrink-tube that was factory provided.)

As I said, my opinion is based on common sense and pratical experience,
which I tend to personally weight higher than the opinion of a factory
trained instructor (having been exposed to more than enough of those in my
10 years in the IT field.)

Of course, as I believe was stated in a previous message, the crimp
connection is more reliable than a solder-only connection, with a crimp
then solder (then seal) being most preferable.  Personally I have found
that a crimp (with di-electric grease - wait, doesn't that seal the gaps
between the strands of wire?) and a shrink-tube has worked just fine for
me.

Like I already said, I'm a stubborn goat.   Believe what you will, and I
will too.

Drew

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Dave Ewing wrote:

> > Personally, I have trouble believing that Bosch (or any other O2 sensor
> > manufacturer, for that matter) would have included a crimp connector and
> > heat shrink tubing to prevent people from soldering O2 sensors in
>
> Well, believe it!  I didn't make the stupid thing and I have replaced
> hundreds of 02 sensors that had the crimp already installed on the wire from
> the 02 sensor with heat shrink sitting on the wire.  Granted, maybe a piece
> of paper would have been a better approach to this situation, but what would
> you think if you opened a brand new sealed 02  sensor and it had a crimp
> connector with heat shrink on the wire (unshrunk of course) would you cut it
> off and solder the wire?  I would think "Hey, there must be a reason for
> this since it came this way in the box"  and install it.  Like I said, I
> didn't make the 02 sensor, I am only passing on information that I obtained
> in the BAPS1 class in which a Bosch factory trained instructor taught.  In
> my mind, this is FACT so opinions are irrelevent here wouldn't you think?
> Or, maybe because people who like to solder just can't change???  Anyway, I
> don't care at this point.  Solder, crimp, if it works, it works.  If it
> doesn't, whatever.  I will crimp since it is no big deal to crimp and my
> information tells me that it is the correct way to do it.  I hope this helps
> and no one takes offense.
>
> > Mind you, that is my opinion, and it's only backed up by practical
> > experience and common sense, so please take it at face value.
> >
> > Drew
>
> I understand it is a built in reflex to question everything (pretty much)
> but at the same time, if you share facts with someone and they still
> question it, it does get a little frustrating.  No big deal though.  I hope
> that I was able to help someone.  Until the next debate, later!
>
> Dave

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca