Re: 16v pistons on 8v

At 11:15 PM 3/27/01 , Shawn C Meze wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:05:39 -0800 "andkat" <forgotit1@home.com> writes:
> >Well I think 150HP might be a bit exagerated cause the block is rated
> >in the
> >engineering papers at 140HP before rupture.
> >

> >Where did you see this?  I've seen some 8v put out a lot more than
> >this
> >without any problems, heck even 1.6 blocks can put out more than that
> >without any issues.
> >
> >Just curious,   Andy 1.9 '79
>

>I think he is refering to the stock block Honda motors? They had big time
>problems with performance mods.

LOL, Meze, nice hit on Hondas. :)

But in reality, that's not the case -- remember that the _stock_ 1.6 liter
VTEC that appeared in the Del Sol had 160hp.  The Euro-Spec 1.6 VTEC was
the same... 160hp.

That's not to say that the motor could handle more than that -- I don't
know.  My guess is that, yes, it could certainly... especially considering
that even the 160hp version shows no signs of anything less than typical
Honda longevity.

Mind you -- I'm not particularly a Honda fan -- just giving credit where
it's due.

With that said, I've never heard of any engineering papers that 140hp would
kill a 1.8 VW motor... in fact, I sincerely doubt it.  I think we're all
familiar with the incredible longevity and durability of these motors...
and I've not heard any stories about thrown rods from 50hp nitrous
shots...  so I think 140-150hp is certainly possible in an 8V without even
severely compromising longevity.

Just MHO
Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v