Control arm removal --> ball joint won't let go

Okay, I'm removing the control arms so I can replace the bushings.  I
managed to get the passenger side off just fine, but the driver's side is
proving to be troublesome--especially separating it from the ball joint.

First, I had to cut the nut off the bolt that secures the clamp to the ball
joint, because the thread on the bolt was stripped where the nut was.  The
previous owner or his "mechanic" knew about this, because there was a second
nut on the end of the bolt to make sure the original didn't work its way
loose.  Lovely.  Well, a couple hours with the Dremel tool and a lot of
patience, and I managed to get the blasted thing off without cutting up the
CV boot or anything else nearby.  :)

Now, the ball joint doesn't want to come out of the clamp.  Some gentle
pressure did the trick on the passenger side, but that's not working for the
driver's side.  What should I do?  Does it need a little percussive
maintenance (hit it with a hammer/rubber mallet)?  I'm open to all
suggestions...

Thanx in advance,
Mike Carlson
'84 Scirocco Wolfsburg Edition