Re: 16v pistons on 8v

I plan on making a drag only race car out of either a rabbit or mk1 scirocco
and putting my old (overhauled of course) 1.8L 16v block in it with a solid
lifter head all tricked out.  I figure the only problem will be knock!  I
think you could install a knock sensor system but on my drag car I don't
think I will need it since I will probably be running 110 or 112 octane race
fuel.  Everyday driving will be a different story.  I would think you would
want something around 11.5:1 max compression on the street (maybe 12:1).  I
would think that even a knock sensor system would have to retard the
ignition too much to get rid of the knock that the motor would make and
cause performance losses.  Of course, I am only assuming, I won't know for
sure until I do it.  BTW, anyone know of a early rabbit or scirocco that is
gutted with a decent body for cheap in the NW?

Dave