Re: Engine question for those experts :)

>From: "Langford, Cory" <Cory.Langford@icbc.com>

>snip-o<
>
>Anyone want to jump in and give me some oppinions on either engine...

sure

The VW 2.0 you want is from the A3 body style (ABA, "tall block"). The new
one from 99+  (AEG?) is too different (no intermediate shaft, for instance)
to make it cost efficient.

The major differences between the ABA and the 3A are all attributed to the
ABA being taller. This gives it more torque down low, and less prone to
knock but also means it's rods are longer and heavier. Thus it does not rev
as quickly (get a lightened flywheel in there, no doubt) and feels like it
wants to fall apart at 6200 RPM.

I've got the ABA in my 85 and am very happy with it. Even with my Eurospec
head (which is supposed to kill bottom end) I've got plenty of torque to
keep me happy. Definitely an awesome around town driver.

If I were to build a car that was partially intended for racing purposes, I
would use the audi 3A motor. Bump up compression to 11:1 & be done with it.
Running a knock sensor of course.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0