Re: distributor

I assume you are referring to a 16V dist. The most common problem that we
have is the seal failing internally and causing the hall sensor wires to be
oil soaked. All 1.8l dist's have been superceeded to the 2.0l unit. It is
possible to get the seal for the dist from the stealer (not in the US). My
experience with the seal fromt he stealer is that it is crap and I wouldnt
recommend it. I got one for my car and it started leaking about 4 months
after I put it in. I think the best cure for the problem would be to have
the original seal duplicated. The original seal has a spring inside to keep
it sealed to the driveshaft. The one you get from thestaler is merely
tapered rubber and sucks.

after dealing with my passat distributor and at a cost of 275.00  i think im
going to start producing billet distributors with a replaceable hall sending
unit . I took a look at the 2.0l distributor and the 1.8l and the only
difference i see is the sending unit. the 2.0l was a dumb design having
wires thru it.
the 1.8l is a much better design. but im in a bind i need a distributor Fast
i have a gutted 1.8L distributor and the 2.0l one is intact but a pain in
the but to rip appart. anyone have an extra 1.8L dist i can buy?
let me know asap..

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA