Progress on the MKI

It was finally a nice weekend out here.  I had a
chance to start going through my new car.
For those who are interested, I fixed the hard closing
of the doors.  The passenger door was to low, so I
bent the hinges upward, and readjusted the striker.
The drivers side was too high, so I lowered it a
little and aslo adjusted the striker.  They close like
a new car now.

The hard starting problem was traced to a few things,
one being that the battery is in the trunk, and the
wiring is sub standard.  The other causes were initial
advance on the distributer was over 20 degrees.  Who
set the timing...... What did they smoke for lunch?  I
am going to assume that a euro curve distributer was
installed in the car, and set it too 15 degrees.  The
thromtimeswitch wire was also frayed, wich also was
messing up the starting.  After fixing this, It starts
much better.  No more using ether to get it running.
Does anyone know where you can check the duty cycle %
for the oxygen sensor control unit on a MKI?  I know
they are near the coil on MKII's, but where are they
on the MKI?  I do have an O2 and a frequency valve.

I also fixed the 3 wires going to the distributor.
They were on with but connectors.. ack.  They were
just waiting for a day when I would have had to walk
home. I noticed this while I was removing the plastic
timing plug, and the car stalled.  I restarted it and
reached in again, again it stalled.  It didn't take
long to figure out the problem.  I am amazed that I
made it home in this thing....

Sorry to be so long winded, I just figured I'd give
everyone an update.

Tony