HELP! - electrical gremlin

My scirocco has just developed an interesting electrical problem - anyone
like to hazard a guess before I haul the dashboard apart?
Was driving home the other night, noticed the console backlights flickering
and the rev counter jumping slightly. A few miles later the console went
completely dark, the high beam lamp came on and the rev counter dropped to
about 1/2 what it should be. This was with the backlight dimmer switch set
to lowest setting. Increasing the brightness setting makes the high-beam
lamp glow brighter and the rev counter drops. Switch the lights off and
everything returns to normal.  Funnily enough, the indicator led still works
as normal. It was wierd as hell driving in the dark with no light inside the
car except this single blue dot glowing!
I haven't had a chance to look at the circuit diagrams for any clues yet but
I'm guessing short or cracked track in the flex-strip  tracks on the back of
the instrument cluster, or maybe short in the fusebox. Anyone like to
positively nail it down further.

TIA,

Ewan Hopkins