Ahh...back in the US with euro stuff. (LONG)

Home at last. Well my stay in the UK was very nice and I got to hit 10 or so
yards in southern England (around Dorset and Somerset). Not to mention
spending many nights pissed in the pubs. Got a ride in some friends quick
205 and 309 pugs and a MONSTER R5 Turbo! Saw lots of cool cars we will never
get in the states and only saw maybe 2 civics and one integra, how nice that
was. Rode in a 2.0 16V Turbo Callibra, all I can say is we get cheated here
in the states.

All in all a great trip if it weren't for Foot and Mouth. My deepest
sympathy to the UK farming and hunting community (where I spend most my time
while in the UK).

I stopped at TSR which was near where I was staying. The parking lot looked
like a PVW photo shoot. They had a badass new Polo there complete with
Dietrich kit and hood scoop! I asked about getting a shift linkage early
since I was there but I was told they had not yet been made DOLT!. Got the
lowdown on the GTi international show coming up and am currently debating
flying back over just to go to it. That may rule out ND for me though. Next
time I go over I will be putting together a Quafie group buy since I can get
them much cheaper in the UK. All the guys at TSR were totally cool.

Anywhoo, as some of you may know I bought a 16V parts car after my last trip
over and this was my first chance to see it. I was hoping for at least KR
injection and maybe a 50MM manifold. Well the damn thing had a small
manifold and 16V that had been completely crushed. Oh well, sold it to the
breaker near where I was staying and broke even. I only saw one other fuel
injected scirocco in the yards for the rest of the trip. I went to roc which
donated me my bumpers, lights, and turns last year. What a shame..it turned
out to be the most perfect scirocco I have ever seen and a 92 GT2 at that.
Not a single scratch is on this car, no dents, dings or likewise damage.
Turns out it was a theft recovery, it had the really cool black metal flake
paint as well. I always wondered why my bumpers had that paint. I stipped it
of all the good parts and trim stuff. I was going to grab the rear belts but
didn't since my luggage was already massive. I got all the switches out the
PRISTINE interior and they look and feel like they just cam from the
factory! I also grabbed the distributor thinking it may be the euro curve
model in demand here in the states but its not. It is however interesting in
the fact that is has both vacuum advance and a Hall Sender? I know the car
will be there when I get back since Im close with the yard owner. The next
trip will again leave it a little bit lighter. Hes currently setting up
deals to get more rocs set aside for me.

The yards I visited scirocco wise consisted of 99%mk2 carbureted if any
rocs. Ive never seen so many 1.7s. I did however find one MK1 Storm. I got
the bumpers, rear foglight and the 120mph cluster out of it though (both
maybe spoken for already). I cant believe the bumpers were galvanized! The
mounting horns however were not and were a total loss. I got a couple sets
of MK2 euro turn signals from the same yard. I cant believe how moss grows
in the UK, all the signals I got have got grass growing on the INSIDE of the
lenses even though they have no major cracks! But they will clean up nicely
me thinks.

I pulled every foglight switch I could find as well as some other
interesting bits. I found a factory switch which mounts in front of the
stick that controls speaker balance I believe.  I got an MFA with all the
sensors and headlight squirters from the same car as well. Found a red MK2
with both bumpers smashed...damn! Found a cool MK2 grill with the red
stripes. I got a bid in on buying a running white Scala with all the gaudy
with all the white stuff. Let me just say that all white interior is
horrendous. I ended up getting 4 sets of MK2 bumpers that I left in storage.
Im going to bring these over one set at a time in the future. What surprised
me was that some of the MK2 bumpers were also galvanized and others were the
painted steel which rusts badly in the UK.

It also appears that nearly all the MK2s I saw in the yards or on the
streets came with foglights (hence a switch being in every car). The lights
were mounted with a super cool bracket that mounts on the inside of the euro
bumper and uses existing holes on the frame. Got a couple sets of those as
well should I ever put fogs on.

After I clean all this stuff up Ill let you all know if anything is forsale.

Shannon Fenton
Telecom Resource Management
Desk 206.266.6736
Cell 206.953.6170