Re: how to tell if O2 sensor is Bad...

--- robert <tpiwonka@austin.rr.com> wrote:
> This is an 86 16V:
>
> When I purchased my car it had about twice as much oil as
> it was supposed to have in it and it smoked like crazy,
> even had oil in the tail pipe, as well as oil film on all
> the windows.  Well I changed the oil and the car still
> smoked until the excess oil was burned away and now it
> runs awesome.

This is *exactly* how I acquired my first 16v, also an '86.
 The car would just BARELY run, guy didn't know what was
wrong, I bought it for $800. (In '97)

>     I just got TT race downpipe and exhaust and want to
> know if I should change my O2 sensor, the light in the
> dash does not come on and it idles good, but all the oil
> must have dome some damage to the O2 sensor...I can hear
> my cat rattling away, but it will be gone soon ;-)

I guess you could change it as a "since I'm here" thing.  I
drove mine for almost two years before selling it without
any further problems.

If you do change it, use the O2 sensor from a Mustang and
save $100...

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 Scirocco S,
'82 Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v
'91 Passat
"I am who I am. What else could I be?" - Lara Fabian