Re: More Flywheel/Tranny Q's!

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:54:22 -0800 (PST) Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com>
writes:

>Q's:
>-What does a stock 210mm flywheel weigh? (I'll weigh
>mine tomorrow).  Want to compare.

Stock is around 11-12lbs.

>-Is a sandblasted surface OK for a new clutch plate to
>bed into correctly (have been told it's ideal, want
>2nd opinion).

Sure. Ideal? I dunno. I think a freshly machined surface that somewhat
matches the surface of the pressure plate is more desirable. Probably
wont matter much after the first few hours of use.

>-Your experience with cost to balance?  (Local shop
>said "time and material, at $55/hr.  I said "ever see
>a VW flywheel before?  They're backwards."  He said,
>no but we'll give it a try."  Wouldn't do a flat rate
>deal.  I think "moron.")  Anyone with Cincy area
>experience gets double points.  Anyone who tells me
>where to send it for an excellent job cheap gets
>double points as well, and a beer.

Im having my spare flywheel lightened for the wifes 84 Roc. Ill let you
know.

>-Need the MANUFACTURER part number of the large and
>small pinion bearings, as well as the diff bearings.
>Going to rip into the 4K real soon, and I have some
>contacts for bearings.  Need P/N's on the bearings to
>get price and cross reference.
>Thanks all, you are wonderful...
>
>Cheapass Ron

Call Potterman of you dont get a reply. (I dont know the numbers but he
does, im his sleep...!)

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!