Re: NOO! Cracked front cross member?

    damn, what a drag, dude.

    the same thing happened to me with my first rocco.  about 4-6 months
after i installed my 2.0 on my 16V, i was at the local drags, and when i
launched the car, i ended up ripping the motor thru the front crossmember,
and had the rad resting on the engine.  i was still able to drive home (and
it pulled to 120mph easily ;)), but i decided that it was time for a new car
after that - enter: the sciretta.

    when i got the sciretta (84 2-door jetta GLI), i had a piece of 12 or 14
guage (i think) steel welded to the crossmember that covered the top face of
the lower crossmember from, and the side that faces the motor.  the top part
extended to both rebar tunnels, and even continued about 5" up the sides,
while the side that faced the motor extended the length of the entire
crossmember, IIRC.

    it was a while ago, and i unfortunately didn't do it to my new rocco,
but i will do it eventually.  we have a welder at my buddy's place now, so
if i do fuck it up again, i don't care, i'll just cut the existing bar out,
and try and sort out some kind of removable mk2 golf/jetta rad support.  i
dunno. we'll see.

    in any case, best of luck to ya daun.  and hey, if it don't work out for
you, there's always the prospect of a 16V mk1....

jason
the mad bastard
"i drive far too fast to worry about my cholesterol"