Re: still working on the timing-need HELP!

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:24:15 -0800 (PST) Leo Almeida
<scirvw16vleo@yahoo.com> writes:
> Hello List,
> need help and your expertise in getting my 16v timing
> right. I recently replace my stock cam gear with
> RPI's. belt was not installed correctly so I
> reinstalled cam belt,gear and lower pulley to ZERo
> including tranny mark. Got the engine fired-up, idle
> is fine(no sign of valve damage). However, I still
> somehow cannot get the timing to TDC. cam gear mark
> and lower pulley are aligned 7 to 10 degree on retard
> side. played with Distributor but no improvement. ANY
> INPUT????
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Leo (need to get rocc before ND)
>
> =====
>
> LEO -  87 Scirocco 16V/SFBA-VW/SCIROCCO.ORG

If BOTH the cam and crank is retarded, where does the flywheel end up,
when you set the cam and crank to TDC?

As far as the pulleys changing like Brett said, it could be a bad
woodruff key on the crank,
but if they are both off 7-10 degrees, then you probably didn't manually
rotate the engine and then re-check the timing marks...

If the mark on the crank pulley points up, then the flywheel should be
close to 0 degrees.

To check for slop on the woodruff key on the crank gear, remove the
timing belt,
and grab the gear and check for movement, it will be obvious.

Btw, the timing shouldn't be set to zero, it should be set to 6 deg
before top dead center.

HTH!

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car