still working on the timing-need HELP!

Hello List,
need help and your expertise in getting my 16v timing
right. I recently replace my stock cam gear with
RPI's. belt was not installed correctly so I
reinstalled cam belt,gear and lower pulley to ZERo
including tranny mark. Got the engine fired-up, idle
is fine(no sign of valve damage). However, I still
somehow cannot get the timing to TDC. cam gear mark
and lower pulley are aligned 7 to 10 degree on retard
side. played with Distributor but no improvement. ANY
INPUT????

Thanks in Advance,

Leo (need to get rocc before ND)

=====

LEO -  87 Scirocco 16V/SFBA-VW/SCIROCCO.ORG