Re: Which is better?

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:05:50 +0200 Marius <charger@alioreklama.lt>
writes:
>hi,
>which of engine types is better solid lifter or hydro?
>etka gives 82 kw to both types, is that true? what about torque?

The solid lifter head has better potential to reduce the valve trains
rotational mass. (For racing use mostly.) They will require adjustments
from time to time where as the hydro head is relatively maintenance free.
Until of course one (or more) of the hydro lifters die and clatter about.

For street use, it doesn't really matter which head you use. I prefer the
solid lifter head for its ability to outlast the lifters of a hydro head.
I don't mind adjusting my valves when needed but sometimes it can be a
pain. I also like to be able to set a little more precision into my
valves with the solid lifter head. They hydro self adjusts, done deal, ya
get whatcha get. Most people dont care about any of that and will like
the "set it and forget it" appeal of the hydro head motors.

Shawn Méze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette -SS 30-
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 54-     79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!