Re: Tech} engine will be...

MIKE BLAIN wrote:
(intelligent stuff deleted)

> OK   whats the opinions on most likely HP and over all performance.
> The machinist says above 180. for HP.

Your machinest's estimate sounds about right to me and your car should
run like a scalded cat. You'll have bags of torque and your motor will
still spin up pretty well (stock stroke). However, with your forged
pistions (which require loose tolerances) and very over-square set up
(big pistons/stock stroke means high thrust angles), I'd be concerned
about cylinder wall scuffing. To cut down on this potential trouble, I'd
try to stick with cast pistions.

If you just have to go with the forged units then try to find some with
high-silicon content (which expand less than low-silicon pistions thus
allowing tighter tolerances). That higher silicon content is more
abrasive, however. To reduce friction, I'd coat the piston skirts with a
dry-film lubricant. Here's a great link about engine coatings:
<http://www.swaintech.com>

I don't generally trust stainless steel valves. Most of them are
inferior quality to stock. Why not stick with the OEM? -running bigger
valves? Don't go overboard or you'll loose your torque.

The only other advisement that I'd offer is also not to go crazy with
your crank and flywheel lightening. Why? I just weighed the forged
pistons going into my Mazda's sicko turbo motor. They're a bit heavier
than the stock units and will generally want *more* counterbalancing to
keep things smooth. However, your balancing regimen may equal things out
in the end. Just keep that in mind.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut