Clutch cable adjustment

I' m still searching for a clutch pedal feel that I like.  I put in a new clutch kit a few months ago and when I installed a new auto-adjust cable I could not engage any gears with the engine running.  I took the auto-adjust out and put in a manual one and had to put quite a bit of tension on the lever (at the tranny) to get the travel necessary to disengage the clutch enough to engage the gears while the engine is running.

I know this can't be right.  Manual says I should have a little free-play in the system and I don't have any.  I was thinking of checking the lever arm and bearing the acutate the pushrod, any other suggestions?

David Zanotti