Good yard find, but a question [sunroof]

Found a near perfect tilt/slide sunroof in an '84 audi at my local yard,
even the damn seal was in great shape.  Headliner a bit dirty, but cleaned
right up.  Dropped the sucker right in, no problems ..... Except

When I go to open it, either direction, I push the button on the crank to
release it, and then during every rotation the catch catches again, and I
have to re-push the button.  Now I know it didnšt do this on my original
roof - I'd push the button once to release, and it would just crank to open
or slide.  So what's the culprit? The crank or the crank hardware?  I'm
ALMOST positive I put my original crank and ware back in, but having 4
sunroof in my basement now I cant be sure :-)  But I've tried every
combination it seems.

Anyhow.....its annoying.

Greg

--