Re: Poly Motor Mounts

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001 01:56:42 -0500 Eric L Ellis <elf16v@juno.com> writes:
> Now get yourself one of the solid aluminum rear mounts and have some
> fun.
>  I heard all the stories about vibrations that would rattle you
> teeth out but let me be the one to say, balance the engine and you'll
hardly
> notice the difference.  Besides, those friggin poly rears kept breaking
on
> me at the most inopportune times. (probably has something to do with my
> shifting...and why the AGB's didn't last)  Oops, guess I don't know
> my own strength.
>
> Eric
> Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!
> http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v/

I picked up a solid aluminum rear trans mount just for kicks...

How harsh are they?

I wasn't planning on using it, because I thought it would vibrate too
much.
I don't mind a little harshness, but I don't want my hands to get numb.

 "dale witt" <dwitt1@satx.rr.com> writes:
> > After some debate I decided to go with all poly on my 16v daily
> > driver.  As I expected there is some vibration.
> > The entire car vibrates, but the engine does not
> > move.
> > Throttle response is
> > excellent and I have never enjoyed the short shift like I do
> > now....changed the tranny mount as well.....
> > If you have been debating on whether you should go
> poly or not......I like it!!
> >
> > Dale Witt
> > 86.5 2.0 16v roc (all poly)
> > 82 2.1 16v roc (Zender 400 w/NOS)
> > 85 1.8 GTI

The front poly-urethane mount is a good thing!

The rear poly mounts tend to self destruct, mine had just the studs left,
and there was no sign of the red block.

The aluminum mount is basically the same thing, except I haven't heard of
any problems with them.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"