was H.D. connecting rods? , now "Cheapass defined"

--- Brian McGarvey <brianm@zbt62.eastnet.gatech.edu>
wrote:
> Hey man
> NC isnt that far from here. GA (ATL) next time you
> get a hold o 16v lemme
> know... I'll figure out a way to come an get it...
> hey esp if it's FREE.. after allyou know I like
> free. and Cheapass Ron(tm)
> specials...
> brian
> just learnin from Ron.

Ha!

Free is good.  Cheap is good, as long as we're talking
about low-cost cheap, not cheap-crap cheap.  Smart is
better.  Image is nothing.

"Cheapass" refers to tools, procedures, etc. that get
the same job done as expensive, defacto-standard
established alternatives.  Cheapass Ron™ tries to
combine smart with low-cost cheap.  For example, I buy
Craftsman tools.  Not the cheapest, not the best, but
for me, the smartest because I can get them replaced a
few miles away any time.  Also, obtaining quality
parts second-hand is definitely Cheapass, and smart
too.

Cheapass Ron™ won't recycle used garbage parts for
critical use, or put new garbage parts into his car,
either (Pacesetter exhausts ...cheap, but cheap
crap...nope).  He will try to be smart though.  He
tries to think of what some companies charge high
dollars for, and out-think them using whatever tools
he has access to (including a CNC vertical machining
center) and a bit of ingenuity.  Besides, it's fun.

For example, I'm getting close (finally) to a Cheapass
Ron™ Rear Sway bar.  It will most likely be a piece of
1" square (or similar) 2028 aluminum bolted directly
the the axle crossmember.  Why not? Serves the
purpose, costs about 1/4 or less, is lighter, and is
removable if it doesn't work. Stay tuned for the
Cheapass Ron™ Alternative Shifter Weight (in
development, if successful I'll post.  If failure, it
gets canned).

Sometimes, though, things have to be done the
expensive way.  There is no cheap substitute for
Bilsteins, IMO.  There's no way to cheapass the
sunroof gasket, except to look for the right price.

Sometimes Cheapass Ron™ buys from established sources
soley for the purpose of maintaining relationships,
even though lower-cost parts are available elsewhere.

Cheapass Ron is not bothered by the jabs...it amuses
him!  This $100 roc, and this Burrito roc, now that's
good luck!  A free G60 bottom end?  Smart.  2nd-hand
Autotech strut bearings?  Cheapass.  But good!

Later,

Ron