Re: Fuel Injector tip breaks! And cleaning question...

Well, guess what?  After years of believing that I could clean injectors
using the pop bench testor (Bosch I believe) I have now learned by looking
at
a cutaway view of an injector that you CANNOT clean them!!!  Sure, you can
knock the carbon off the ends of them and try to improve the spray pattern,
but you cannot clean them.  Anyone know why?  They have a filter inside the
injector.  Since they have two pressure valves in them, you would have to
open the valves by applying pressure in the regular direction then at the
same time push fluid through the other direction to clean the filter.
Impossible!  So, you can test the ones you have for flow, leakage, spray
pattern, and pop-off pressure (3.5-4.1 Bar).  If they pass these tests than
they should be OK.  If the cap comes off, the injector is junk unless it
passes the above tests and is used in a non-air shrouded system since the
caps are pressed on and once they fall off they may do it again either
interferring with the spray pattern or dropping into a valve or cylinder.  I
would go with new ones unless you are on a tight budget, then find someone
check them.  25 bucks each sounds steep!  Remember, also, that new injectors
need to be popped on the testor also since they are packed with wax from
Bosch and I have seen injectors not pop with the wax in it until 7+ bar
(kinda hard to get the injector to pop at 7 bar in the fuel system when the
pressure sent to the injector is 4.4 bar!).  HTH!!!

Dave