Re: [VW info] H.D. connecting rods? My practices

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to slap that nutty bastard that told me
they were 144s.  Why keep the components?  Isn't the crank a standard 1.8
crank? (I've tossed more than my share of 1.8 16v's)

Before I get jumped, let me explain.  My second rebuild was a 1.8 that I
got for free.  I paid to have the block dipped, and head rebuilt and used
a gasket kit that I got for $15.00.  I got new head bolts, connecting rod
bolts, bearings and rings and put everything back together clean and
purty.  I had it for sale for $400.00 which was $4.00 more than I had
into it.  Nada.  Lowered the price to $250.00...nothing.  Then a friend
found himself in some serious straights and needed the motor.  He's out
spankin' new Celica's last I heard.

Since then, I've had no use for 1.8 16v bottom ends and have tossed 3 in
the last year.  I keep the external goodies and cogs but ditch the cranks
etc.  Is that so wrong?

Eric
Good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun!
http://www.geocities.com/blitzkrieg16v/

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:30:38 EST VWMikeLVW@aol.com writes:
> Those are 136mm rods. Don't throw away the block!....at least not the
>
> internals!
>
> Mike
> <A

HREF="http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel">http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel<