Re: 9.4 solid to 10.1 or 11" vented brake swap Q's

In a message dated 3/14/01 5:24:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
andreb.mail@gte.net writes:

I am considering upgrading my brakes to 10.1 and perhaps even eventually
the Corrado 11" brakes.  What I would like to know is what is aboslutely
necessary to do the swap (currently have 9.4 solid with ATE calipers...
The small square pads suck)

Speaking of the 10.1 swap, I know of people who simply swapped
rotors/calipers front and rear and have no problems. Others swapped in
the MC and booster without the pedal assembly, yet others did it all,
16v knuckles, rotors, calipers, MC, booster, and pedal assembly.  Throw
into this mix the possibility that I may upgrade or skip right to the
11" setup and also I plan on getting  a close-ratio tranny (which may
have 100mm flanges).  I currently have an FO tranny which has the 90mm
flanges.

IMHO, 11's are unnecessary on such a light car. On my Silver GTI (Turbo one),
I used Scirocco 16v calipers, carriers, and rotors up front with the stock
knuckles. I swapped in the scirocco 22mm master cylinder with the
corresponding booster, but left the pedal cluster alone. This worked fine for
me, but you would have to swap the pedal cluster or find some way of
attaching the brake light switch as your car has the switches in the master
cylinder...the lights work off the brake pressure. I also used the whole 16v
rear beam with disk brakes...my proportioning valves are original, and I have
no bias problems.

I realize for the 11" swap I will need the caliper adapters, calipers,
rotors, 16v MC and booster (or something equivalent), & maybe new brakes
lines, but can I use the same knuckles that are on my 79, and same axles
should I get a close ratio tranny?

It isn't an issue of what trans it is (unless it's an O2A) as to whether or
not your existing knuckles will work, but which axles you're using. With the
stock knuckles, you're limited to 90mm CV's.

I would change either the flange

back to 90mm or the inner CV to fit the flange (provided the axles are
the same??).

Nope, can't mix and match joints, the spline depth is different....100mm CV's
are thicker too.

If I need to upgrade to the 85+ knuckles, must I use the

16v driveshafts or can I swap the outer joints to my existing axles?

You still need the 16v axles.

Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated... but please dont tell
me to simply put on 9.4 vented with larger calipers.  =)

I don't think you need to worry about going to 100mm CV's either. Like with
big wheels, they're heavier and the weight is further out, meaning more
rotational mass and parasitic losses. I don't know that you would notice it,
but it couldn't help things. I still have the 90mm axles on that Silver GTI,
and have only shredded one inner joint...and that was due to the engine being
out of adjustment on it's mounts.

Mike
http://www.geocities.com/vwmikel - trust me, a replacement is on the way!
'84-Arkay Turbo Rabbit GTI
'84-Rabbit GTI - future DCI drag car
'77-Rabbit - project
'80-Scirocco S - (um... to be:1.9L crossflow, turbo, 6 speed, widebody?)