RE: Siroccos and Passat brakes

<snip Cory>
ms like a strange place to put it).
the problem I always run into is Very poor peddle play.
It is as if there is air in the lines.  Keep pumping and
after about 3 pumps brakes work great.  Stop and the pressure
dissipates and you get the peddle to the floor again.
Help?  Suggestions?
<end snip>

I’m assuming you changed the proportioning valve when you upgraded the
brakes.  First make sure you’re using decent fluid.  If this is happening
after you drive for a bit, it could be the bad fluid.  If it’s constant
(like when the car is idling and you haven’t gone anywhere since you bled
them), it’s not the fluid.  It could be a bad master cylinder.  I just went
through this on my Scout.  Same deal, bled many times and had no air in the
lines.  No leaks or loss of fluid.  Pump the pedal and the brakes would
catch.  Turned out the master cylinder failed internally (bad internal
seals).  I replaced the master cylinder and all was good.  HTH.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II