Manualsteer swap vs. Powersteer (problems)

So I was doing a swap to manualsteering this weekend on my 87 8v (engine was
out - weee!).

Anyhow, I had what I thought were *all* the components necessary for the
swap that are specific to manual (u-joint shaft, relay bracket).  Now, I am
replacing the rack bushings w/ poly bushings.  However, as I tried to mount
the rack to the bolt mounting points, the brackets that go over the bushings
did not come anywhere near flush w/ the body.  In fact, I had to struggle
just to get the bolt tips to pass through the bracket holes (can you imagine
this?  it's hard to explain).  The poly bushings are a *bit* deeper than the
stock, but I don't think that caused the big problem.  Apparently, the
brackets for manual are longer than those for power?  Now, I checked ETKA
and they call for the same brackets on manual as power, and they also call
for the same bushings, too - which I think is FALSE.

Can anyone confirm this or not?  If worst comes to worst, I'll have to shim
out to the rack w/ washers, and I really don't want to do that.  I can
barely get the nut screwed a nut's depth onto the bolts.  Ugh.... That's a
bit too scary for me.